Saturday, October 27, 2012

Falling in Love with Autum Dessert!


With all this eating healthy I have been doing I was completely craving a little piece of something sweet. But with cookies, pastries & chocolate off limits I was having a hard time thinking of something that would keep my healthy habits unbroken. 

Luckily, my rules said nothing about adult beverages (which would not be considered healthy at all)...and we have had our martini glasses for months and they had yet to be used. So a martini it was, now I just had to find a fun recipe with the little alcohol we have in our apartment. Actually, we only have Gin. So that would be considered very limited in the martini world. 

This recipe for an Apple Cider & Ginger Martini caught my eye and it was utterly delicious!! Watch out tho, this recipe will sneak up on ya if your not careful.

With that I was thinking that a baked apple would be great. I just love apples in the fall. A crisp apple has to be my favorite all time snack and the fall opens the doors to a fresh crop of apples, yum!

I searched and search the internet and could not find just the right recipe. Nothing felt right with trying to eat a healthy dessert. Well you know what to do then, make one! 

I can up with...

 Spiced Pastry Cream Baked Apples

(All those pastry chefs would just hate I call this "pastry cream" its not really, but its the only thing that felt right in the name ;)

2 T. Milk
1 Cup Skim Ricotta Cheese
1/8 t. All Spice
1/8 t. Nutmeg
1/4 t. Cinnamon
2 T. Brown Sugar

4 Medium Sized Apples

1. Start by boiling a small pan of water. Just about 2-3 inches of water will do. Preheat your oven to 350.

2. Now while your water is boiling core your apples. You can either buy a handy little tool to do this or just do it the good old fashioned way. A tutorial can be found HERE. Make sure to leave the bottom of the apple intact, if you mess up (as I did on one of my apples) and cut all the way down you can just wrap the bottom of the apple in tin foil and secure the bottom the best you can.

 3. Then place a glass (pyrex type) or metal bowl over the water. Make sure the edges of the bowl seal off the steam from the water the best you can and that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Now put your ingredients (other then the apples) in the bowl and stir, stir, stir. 

3. If it seems too runny then add one or two teaspoons of cornstarch to thicken the "cream".

3. Not put your apples in the pan you plan on baking them in and pour in your "cream." Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Let them sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving, they will be HOT! 

4. Enjoy your impressive and pretty healthy dessert :)



No comments:

Post a Comment